One struggles enough in making a good film. What are their concerns? They commonly shared such principles as, in relation to subjects, Do no harm and Protect the vulnerable, and, in relation to viewers, Honor the viewers trust.. What is the exact area of an equilateral triangle with sides of length 10 m? In journalistic practice, payment is usually forbidden for fear of tainting the information garnered. You have to be 99.9 percent sure that people will know. Some filmmakers also stage events to occur at a time convenient to the filming. No, I never show rough cuts to subjects. That kind of authenticity shook the tree of trust.. That, Oppenheimer said, may be one of the reasons why films like his are becoming a larger part of the American movie business: At a time when the news industry is struggling financially and the focus is often on shorter articles, nonfiction and documentary films offer audiences the depth and detail they crave. They portray themselves as storytellers who tell important truths in a world where the truths they want to tell are often ignored or hidden. . First and foremost the kids education is at stake. Filmmakers were asked to speak about their own experiences, focusing on the recent past, rather than generalizing about the field. Another featured uniformed guardsa one-time, exceptional moment. Its a powerful story, and its important plot-wise. smallest value. . With profound sadness, Adi Rukun watches footage of interviews conducted by Joshua Oppenheimer with perpetrators of the 1965-66 Indonesian genocide in Drafthouse Films and Participant Medias The Look of Silence. Courtesy of Drafthouse Films and Participant Media. The differing styles of documentary and injection of cinematic elements that arguably make them more interesting has made it harder to define documentary and its goals even among professionals, no two definitions of a documentary are quite the same. Jon Else said: For years I never paid anyone for an interview. "But we dont know what a balanced media diet looks like.. A.253m2B.25m2C.103m2D.53m2, How to calculate the 424242nd term of the arithmetic sequence. The question of whether to pay subjects was of great concern to filmmakers. The movie's lesson is brutal, sad, and inescapable: Elvis Presley was a man who gave joy to a great many people but felt very little of his own, because he became addicted and stayed addicted until the day it killed him. For instance, filmmakers also regularly used re-creations (re-staging of events that have already occurred, whether in the recent or distant past), although they widely believed that it was important that audiences be made aware somehow that the footage is recreated. One filmmaker, for instance, created archival material to use in her documentary and was asked to take it out by thebroadcaster when they found out it wasnt real. March of the Penguins (2005) Dir. Its mostly now a reporter being front and center rather than telling the stories of others, so people feel they cant trust it, Columbia University journalism and documentary film professor June Cross said. Stanley Nelson said, People have to know and feel its a recreation. We consulted with [an] immigration attorney . That could be good or bad, depending on the story being told, Cross said. Steven Ascher said: You could argue that cutaways in a scene filmed with one camera are a distortionyou cut from a person talking to a reaction shot, condensing or reshuffling dialogue before you cut back to the person. Sophie says that (7c2d+12cd2+3)+(5c2d2cd28)=12c2d+10cd25\left(7 c^{2} d+12 c d^{2}+3\right)+\left(5 c^{2} d-2 c d^{2}-8\right)= 12 c^{2} d+10 c d^{2}-5(7c2d+12cd2+3)+(5c2d2cd28)=12c2d+10cd25. Taped confessions? One director recalled, I knew personal information about one of the [subjects] that I thought would make the film richer, but she was confiding to me in person, not as a filmmaker . For Grierson, who incessantly strategized to garner government resources for documentary film, the phrase had strategic advantages. Also included were four executive producers in national television programming organizations. In one extreme case, for instance, the filmmaker did not protect a subject who implied that he had committed a murder. But you should also develop core competencies that help you collaborate with clients and meet their expectations. not looking at archival footage as a document of a particular time and place, becomes problematic. Peter Miller noted that. By Justin Sayles Jul 9, 2021, 6:30am EDT. within last week 6 students have dropped out of the basketball team and 2 students have dropped out of the debate tryouts. And it wasnt, so we had to take it out. They may be encouraged to alter the story to pump up the excitement, the conflict, or the danger. When filmmakers face ethical conflicts, they often resolve them in an ad-hoc way, keeping their deep face-to-face relationship with subjects and their more abstract relationship with the viewers in balance with practical concerns about cost, time, and ease of production. At its face value, colorblindness seems like a good thingreally taking MLK seriously on his call to judge people on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. . The terms of these releases are usually dictated by insurers, whose insurance is required for most television airing and theatrical distribution. I was making a film about someone who was not loved . Professor of Law, American University Washington College of Law. the politicians earlier association with the student communist movement ________________ his reputation with some in his party, who feared his history would hurt his chances of being elected, the documentary became popular due to its subject matter, it dealt with sensitive topic but ____________ the information in a palatable way. A more extended and vigorous conversation is needed in order to cultivate such understanding in this field of creative practice. They were fully aware that their choices of angles, shots, and characters were personal and subjective (a POV, or point of view, was repeatedly referenced as a desirable feature of a documentary), and justified their decisions by reference to the concept the truth. This concept was unanchored by validity tests, definitions, or norms. However, even filmmakers who work with television organizations with standards and practices may not benefit from them because the programs are executed through the entertainment divisions. Filmmakers need to develop a more broadly shared understanding of the nature of their problems and to evolve a common understanding of fair ways to balance their various obligations. . In one case, a filmmaker decided to withhold information about a public figures drug addiction in order to create the strongest cinematic experience. Gallup reports that just 40 percent of Americans trust . Its your reputation. the shares appreciate 10% in the first year and 25 the next. The opening . Concerns about documentary ethics are not new, but they have intensified over the past several years in response to changes in the industry. Breyer pointed to witness footage of police killings of black men like Michael Brown, Eric Garner and Walter Scott over the past two years as an example. Interrogating what it means to become a "subject" in a documentary film that ultimately takes on a life and a folklore of its own, Jennifer Tiexiera and Camilla The documentary became public due to its subject matter, it dealt with a sensitive topic but indicated the information in a plateable way. In relation to subjects, they often did not feel obliged to protect subjects who they believed had themselves done harm or who had independent access to media, such as celebrities or corporate executives with their own public relations arms. A substantial minority of filmmakers argued that they would never allow a subject to see the film until it was finished. All Rights Reserved. if the total sales of the beverages for that morning was $700, how many $3 beverages were sold, a school year begins with 24 students trying out for the basketball team 20 students trying out for the debate team. It has no ethics. Angela says that (7c2d+12cd2+3)+(5c2d2cd28)=22c2d25\left(7 c^{2} d+12 c d^{2}+3\right)+\left(5 c^{2} d-2 c d^{2}-8\right)= 22 c^{2} d^{2}-5(7c2d+12cd2+3)+(5c2d2cd28)=22c2d25. They said it will be upsetting for children, and that the films point is solely to talk about material science. The ethical tensions in the second focused on ways to maintain a viewers faith in the accuracy and integrity of the work. So to use archival footage . the perilous cliff filled the hiker with___________________, but her companions urged her to _______________ her fear, upon entering the ________________ home, police officers were disgusted to see its rundown state, a group of numbers has an average of 11. the first three numbers are 16, 3, 10 what is the other number, an investor purchases shares in a company for $20 share. if the regular price od the book is $25, how many books could be bought at the sale price if a shopper spent $105? This protective attitude was dropped when filmmakers found an act ethically repugnant, often seeing their job as exposing malfeasance. Our code of ethics is very different. Luc Jacquet 3. I always decide not to use that moment, said another. This higher truth or a sociological truth inadvertently invoked documentary pioneer John Griersons description of documentary as a creative treatment of actuality. Grierson used this flexible term to permit a wide range of actions and approaches ranging from re-enactment to highly selective storytellingindeed, even outright government propaganda. you decide what your film is going to be, you have to put your traditional issues of friendship aside. A great documentary doesnt give you an answer, Breyer said. subject matter. They had fewer qualms about lying to public officials or to representatives of institutions than about lying to subjects. He wanted us to interview someone else as a precondition [for using his own interview], Nelson said. The interview was important for the film, Nelson said, and he believed the request was motivated by desire to control the film. In that instance, I didnt feel it would affect what he was going to say.. They daily felt the lack of clarity and standards in ethical practice. The second time, he was crying, I was crying, we were all crying. Viewers are also reticent to call Oppenheimer's work pure documentary, given how Oppenheimer utilizes certain cinematic techniques. The Times described the documentary not only as focusing on women in politics, but more specifically on women of color, their communities, and the significant changes they have wrought upon America. All interviewees were provided with a consent form that had been approved by the American University Institutional Review Board, and all were offered anonymity. . Where institutional standards and practices exist, as in the news divisions of some broadcast and cablecast networks, filmmakers felt helpfully guided by them. if the bartenders total pay for the moth was $4,250. . This DPA and the Service Agreement constitute the entire agreement of the Parties relating to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior communications, representations, or agreements, oral or written, by the Parties relating thereto. Her reasons were goodshe did not want her son to grow up and maybe have a family, and 25 years from now have his kids find out he was arrested for attempted murder. The filmmaker allowed the family to consider; eventually, the kid himself spoke up and said that he was ok with it . time of the drinks were $1 each and the rest $3 each. . The informal basis upon which they operated also reflects the ambivalence they have about ceding control and their wish to preserve their own creative interests. These developments often troubled documentarians: [Facts] are not verified . The awareness of a power differential also leads filmmakers sometimes to volunteer to share decision-making power with some subjects. They believe that they come into a situation where their subjects, whether people or animals, are relatively powerless and theyas media makershold some power. . Who is it and how they are using it is also important, because as a small independent [filmmaker] you are personally accountable. . September 2009 I felt that my obligation was fulfilled. In another case, a director decided not to show footage to a subject who wanted approval over material used, because he feared the subject would refuse to permit use. It depends on the project.. That is the most deliberate falsification Ive ever done . WasFahrenheit 9/11accurate in its factual indictment of the Bush administrations geopolitics? Advertisement. Not everyone who paid did so in recognition of social inequality. The journalistic approach is the news comes first and story second. . The decision to share material in advance with subjects was, typically, an informal decision. The population spanned three generations. In still another case, an HIV-positive mother addicted to drugs asked filmmakers not to reveal where she lives. Documentary films have risen significantly in popularity since the turn of the century, increasing from less than 5 percent of all movie releases to 18 percent as of 2012, according to the media analysis nonprofit group the Harmony Institute. This report reveals profound ethical conflicts informing the daily work of documentarians. One filmmaker recalled omitting a section on request. They were much happier, I was much happier, and the film was better because of it.. I am keenly aware of the hypocrisy of asking someone for access that I myself would probably not grant. They let you be there as their life unfolds, said Steven Ascher, and that carries with it a responsibility to try to anticipate how the audience will see them, and at times to protect them when necessary., I often think, Let me be this person watching the film. Would they hate me? Ultimately Im not of that position. If its nonfiction, I need strong evidence to prove he can.. The keenly felt power differential between filmmaker and subject led some filmmakers to make unilateral storytelling decisions, usually to omit material, with empathy for the subjects. . This filmmaker decided to take the story out altogether: the harm that we could potentially do overwhelmed our [broadcasting rights] . You use [the photo] with the knowledge that ultimately its not important if its your guy or not, whats important is the story. Another recalled: [One subject] talks about his childhood, his family all died . Jump cuts might be more honest about the rearranging going on but might be unwatchable. But that doesnt mean that I dont bend the truth. Is the filmmaker the center of this film? It did not compromise an ultimate truth.. . Its important to lift up people who tell their stories, as opposed to making them victims. Experts say there are some easy ways to become more media literate to help audiences siphon fact and fiction in documentaries and journalism. Explain how to write 29452629^{\circ} 45^{\prime} 26^{\prime \prime}294526 as a decimal degree measure. Only one respondent, Jennifer Fox, said that she offered fine cut approval in a legal document, with the caveat that the subjects couldnt object to the film because they didnt like the way they looked but could object to things on the grounds of hurting their family. The film becomes a historical document. That makes me uncomfortable; it puts them at risk.. Saying this blurry figure is not our guy would ruin the scene, said Peter Miller. The filmmaker decided to exclude this information from the film. The whale is the subject of the 2013 documentary Blackfish., Director Gabriele Cowperthwaite, right, watches as footage is filmed for her 2013 documentary Blackfish.. Its not about 1965, its about the terrible consequences of impunity in the present.. Clockwise from top left: Casting JonBenet; Homecoming, Dirty Money, They'll Love Me When I'm Dead; Miss Americana; Jim & Andy. Shyamalan made Split as an indirect sequel to Unbreakable . After I wrapped, I felt like a real shit for the rest of the day, felt like I manipulated him for my personal gain. . For all their aesthetic beauty, both The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence occupy an unsure place on the continuum of cultural forms. In both these cases, the choices not to honor the subjects requests reflected the fact that the subjectsboth experts, not less-powerful subjectsattempted to exert control over the films outcome that differed from that of the filmmakers. Filmmakers observed these principles with widely shared limitations. I usually say no, its a conflict of interest, but sometimes you really want someone to do the interview. Another thought it was more a matter of cultural norms. We are a respected educational program provider, [and] we would have looked bad, disgraced by it., Filmmakers expected to get to truth via the vehicle of a story and held themselves responsible for its implications. It shocks us with that quaking moment of recognition, Oppenheimer said. This movie does not, however, intend to be a documentary about Presley's drug usage. Their comments can be grouped into three conflicting sets of responsibilities: to their subjects, their viewers, and their own artistic vision and production exigencies. "Zappa" gives its subject his well-earned due within the rock firmament. To look at a homicide that happened seven years ago, and look at who did itits good entertainment. Filmmakers thus find themselves without community norms or standards. Vietnam veteran and biker Ron " Stray Dog " Hall is the subject of "Winter's Bone" director Debra Granik's documentary debut "Stray Dog," which follows Hall's bike club on a . An independent filmmaker said that his financially strapped subjects could see that we had money to make the movie, and we were making money ourselves off their tragedy, at a time when they could not work because of dealing with [a difficult situation]. In this regard, many found institutional rules against payment to be arbitrary and even counterproductive.