Many times there may be even be opportunities for group prayer among Christians on your team. Help me to learn something that matters once the game is over. There's a great theological truth you need to know: When you step on the playing field, God is with you. I pray that you may find him and be found in him before, during, and after you enter your athletic arena. God, let me play well but fairly. Powerful Father, you told me that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. Let love fill my lungs as I breathe for this race, Always let me help my opponent up. Prayer for Competition God, let me play well, but fairly. If through athletics I set an example, 3. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. Every time I compete, I stand for the cross. And so we are confident that as we lift up our thoughts to you, you are indeed with us. Keep us under the protection of Your Son, Jesus Christ. You told me to run in such a way as to get the prize. "(Philippians 3:13-15, TLB), "I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. You can't be with your child every step of the way, but that doesn't mean you can't unite your hearts with his or her stance on the field. . Never catch me rejoicing in the adversity of others. Olympic athletes have a unique opportunity every four years to inspire the world with their physical strength, graceful movements and mental stamina. The athletes who use a clear mindset are those you see before a competition talking to coaches, teammates, or even their competition. PRAYERS TO PREPARE: BEFORE COMPETITION Pregame routines are important psychologically and spiritually for athletes. I declare my loyalty to You. Father in Heaven, we ask Your blessing on the game we are about to play. When Jesus was asked to teach his friends to pray he gave them an example which was passed down to us as the Lords Prayer.. Help me to learn something that matters once the game is over. They do it to get a crown that will not last. Remind us how blessed we truly are. Self Awareness. That would be radical, but it would also be retraining our hearts to properly worship in the midst of competition. I sweat for the One who made me. Help us to conduct ourselves as you would, with grace and kindness. And so we are confident that as we lift up our thoughts to you, you are indeed with us. Also featuring daily morning and evening prayers, and petitions for various occasions and events. Amen. There are so many scriptures about God being our present help in a time of trouble(Psalm 46:1), our strength and our shield(Psalm 28:7), our comforter (Isaiah 40:1,Matthew 5:4,Romans 15:4,2 Thessalonians 2:16-17), the one who prepares our hand for battle (Psalm 144) and the one who will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5,6). Prayers as athletes who follow Jesus should be no different. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. Please wrap us in your wings so that we can all play an enjoyable game that is safe and responsible. When we look back on this competition, let us see that we committed ourselves fully to the game and emerged with dignity and respect for our competition. Bless also the losers that they may be gracious in their loss. This year many Olympians have added another. and with respect for members of the opposing team. In light of that I offer these as a few examples of ways to pray: God help me today to honor you and all I do and say in this arena of sports (insert: field, court, mat, pool etc). May it give you ideas for your own prayer life and move you towards action. Positive Parental Involvement In Sports, Spiritual Thirst A Reflection on the Samaritan, Your email address will not be published. Ive put in the work. Lord, I admit that my prayers before competition are more focused on the scoreboard than on becoming like You. Bless us with a team spirit All of my abilities are from You, Jesus. Amen. It's FREE! Positive Parental Involvement In Sports. There are practices, games and time spent in coach's offices as well as at home. How can you develop your prayer life in the arena of competition? It's FREE! Amen. Guide her and give her the strength and courage to compete in the forthcoming cross country and athletic competitions this year and in the coming year's. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. I train to bring You glory. Unless noted otherwise, the material of this website is copyright free. They will soar on wings like eagles; Be with me when I need to play hurt, when I have to deal with the pain of injury, disappointment or losing. As God goes with us, so we go with God into the athletic arena. Prayer to Work Hard Almighty Father, you said that if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victors crown unless he competes according to the rules. To win is to honor Him. Guide us graciously so we may understand that in the end, real triumph is achieved when we do our best in honor of You, almighty Father, and not when we claim the trophy for ourselves after wee have done others wrong. I wear Your jersey, Lord. weeks and days before. Maywe play hard and fair. let it be a good one. Prayers as athletes who follow Jesus should be no different. Understanding what God wants could change your approach to prayer. We pray this in your most holy name. they will walk and not be faint." We need to develop the life habit of thanking God for everything that He allows into our life and story. they will walk and not be faint." For Hard Times For Financial Prosperity For Physical Health For Emotional Health For Protection For a Marriage For Babies and Pregnancy For Family For Spiritual Warfare For Spiritual Health For a Death For the Workplace For Bedtime, Bible Commentary Bible Verses Devotionals Faith Prayers Coloring Pages Pros and Cons, 50 Biblically Accurate Facts About Angels in the Bible, 50 Most Profitable Youth Group Fundraising Ideas for Your Church, 250 Ice Breaker Questions for Teen Youth Groups, 25 Important Examples of Pride in the Bible, Why Jesus Wept and 11 Lessons from His Tears, 25 Different Ways to Worship God and Praise the Lord. I will wait on the Lord and be of good courage. Prayer for Appreciation Heavenly Father, we thank you for this day, for these two teams, for the chance to study, to understand the world around us a little better, for the health to be here, for the thrill of a sporting event and for individuals leaning to play as a team. It consists of exercises that increase flexibility, range of motion, and joint mobility, all of which are necessary for optimal athletic performance and injury prevention. Prayer for My Light Light of the world, my Lord, you truly are the light of the world. For in the time of trouble, he shall hide me in his pavilion, in the secret place of his tabernacle he shall hide me, he shall set me high upon a rock. Just click to listen now. In this way we perform an act of worship, showcasing the gifts which God has given us. During the gaps in the games, what if you prayed for a struggling friend or someone whose anger is hindering them from their best play? Victory does not lie in winning but in becoming more like You. You said that people do not light a lamp and put it under a bowl, but instead put it on a stand where it can give light to all who are in the house. For in the time of trouble, he shall hide me in his pavilion, in the secret place of his tabernacle he shall hide me, Many times pre-game prayers can be a "rah-rah" talk or desperate plea for a big win. the outcome. Amen. We pray in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the HolySpirit. Lord Jesus, we welcome your presence here among us and In our community of (Insert School/League Name). document.getElementById( "ak_js" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Universe of Faithis a Catholic website which offers an opportunity for any person to explore how the Catholic faith can be applied in real life and also to open windows on the teachings of the Catholic Church. Doing the same or similar things before matches or games can help calm the mind and focus the athlete's heart on the task at hand. Develop in me a pure heart. And finally, we pray for your grace,that you would provide uswith the endurance to pursue our heavenly prize:eternal life in Your Son. Develop in me a pure heart. What if we could move away from simply selfish prayers during a game and learned to love God by thinking about other people in the middle of the games? Let no root of bitterness get stuck in my soul today because of a game., Lord, let me give everything I have today and let me play really well and find joy in you doing something youve made me to do!!!. Bestow your generosity and love to all of us present today and bless also those who are left at home. The following prayer is fitting for a game, competition, workout, or even practice: I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Remind me that sports are just games. God is our refuge." Help us internalize the values of humility and sportsmanship, and grant us the humility or courage to accept whatever result awaits us. If I lose,keep me from envy. Amen. Let this free me from anxiety and fear of failure., Lord, let me hold no grudges against coaches, officials or my competitors today. Amen., 41 Ways to Use Sports in Your Youth Ministry. We dont want to stoop down into the mud of blaming God for defeats or just praising him for victories. You'll have to take the principle shared now and apply it to your own sports unique circumstances and game structures but it is applicable across all sports. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Amen. Show us opportunities to build each other up, spiritually, emotionally and physically. Where sport culture, relationships, character, identity, and faith collide. This doesnt mean that we spend our entire day with hands folded or held up to the heavens saying formal prayers. Read more: When we look back on this competition, let us see that we committed ourselves fully to the game and emerged with dignity and respect for our competition. Help me heart fully feel your love and the life that you give. In every victory and every loss, I play for You. Amen. Amen. Be encouraged as you prepare to give of your best in this event! May all our actions give glory to your name and promote peace and love to the world. You train my hands for battle. Lord, we thank you for the gifts and abilities you have blessed these athletes with,and we pray that they may use them to glorify you. Amen. If you did terrible give your pain to him as well in prayer. Strong and faithful God,as we come together for this contest,we ask you to bless these athletes.Keep them safe from injury and harm,instill in them respect for each other,and reward them for their perseverance.Lead us all to the rewards of your kingdomwhere you live and reign for ever and ever. Amen. Prayers as athletes who follow Jesus should be no different. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. A strong support group is necessary to achieve success in any sport. Let us enter into the competition in a spirit of sportsmanship Keep us safe from injury and harm. It includes gratitude for gold medals and if you gave up the winning goal. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me. Here is a prayer from the Book of Blessings that incorporates these themes and asks God for protection of all athletes involved. Help us to remember that we are all your children, no matter what uniform we wear. Heavenly Father, we also would like to ask forgiveness for all the sins we have committed in our pursuit of success, as well as in our daily lives. It includes the touchdown you scored and the time you got burned for a touchdown. Let competition make me strong but never hostile. These pauses also contain moments where the Christian athlete can talk to the King. (a team prayer for before a sports game such as football or baseball). Thank God for at least one specific blessing that took place in the competition. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Matthew 6:9-13, I Thessalonians 5:17,18tells us that part of walking with Jesus is to pray without ceasing.. Therefore, when a Christian athlete prays before a competition he/she is praying to act up to their fullest potential. The rituals before a competition can often make or break a quality performance for that athlete. Prayer For Competition Lord, I admit that my prayers before competition are more focused on the scoreboard than on becoming like You. Doing the same or similar things before matches or games can help calm the mind and focus the athlete's heart on the task at hand. We thank You for the multitude of blessings You have bestowed upon us in the form of our families and friends, our abilities and talents, and even the most uncanny circumstances. If you did terrible give your pain to him as well in prayer. Lord Jesus, you tell us that whenever two or more are gathered in your name, you are present in their midst. All these we ask in your mighty name, amen. But including prayer in our pregame is not difficult. I serve those on my team and those I compete against. In your name, I pray. My heart yearns for Your applause. Prayer for Health of Players Jesus, in our upcoming game, we ask for your protection over all of us, on our team and the opposing team, so that no one is injured during the game. Help me train and play but not become weary. My love for the game is evidence of my love for You. Athletic competition is a very human endeavor. Help us all to play in a Christ-like manner. Most of all, help me never to quit in my efforts to be open to you. Thank you for showing me my ability to play sports. I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Crying out to God and lamenting in these moments is legitimate prayer. Lord help me work through this frustration, God help me relax and shut out distractions, Lord give more strength and endurance then I think I have, Lord forgive me for that flagrant file or stupid penalty where I lost my head. May your loving heart fill each of us so that, We could realize that it is not winning that truly counts. Show her the way to give also strength of those girls around her so that she to can help them to achieve their goals. Practice Positive Self Talk. Help us to enter into this event with love, wisdom and strength in our hearts. Help her to see the way clearly and guide her to her goal. I wait for you, Lord, to give me new strengthto run and not get tired. Amen. And God granted his request. "I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us up to heaven because of what Christ Jesus did for us. Include mini meets in practice that simulate the competition. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves. ". In every victory and every loss, I play for You. This doesnt mean that we spend our entire day with hands folded or held up to the heavens saying formal prayers. An Athlete's Prayer Dear God, Today is game day and I place myself in your loving hands.